The Windsor Ruins near Port Gibson Mississippi, are those of the largest antebellum Greek Revival mansion built in the state, and have been used in various motion pictures.  At one time the plantation covered 2,600 acres. Smith Coffee Daniell II, who was born in Mississippi in 1826, the son of an Indian fighter turned farmer and landowner, constructed the mansion itself in 1859-1861. Basic construction of the house, which was designed by David Shroder was done by slave labor. The bricks for use in the 45-foot columns were made in a kiln across the road from the house. The columns were then covered with mortar and plaster. There were 29 of these columns supporting the projecting roof line with its plain, broad frieze and molded cornice. This provided protection for the galleries that encompassed the house at the second and third levels. The fluted columns had iron Corinthian capitals and were joined at the galleries by an ornamental iron balustrade. <br />
The mansion contained twenty-five rooms with twenty-five fireplaces, with a basement containing a school room, dairy, and supply rooms.<br />
<br />
The home survived the war only to be totally destroyed on February 17, 1890, by a fire said to have been caused by a party guest who carelessly dropped a cigarette.
  
twitterlinkedinfacebook

Details


The Windsor Ruins near Port Gibson Mississippi, are those of the largest antebellum Greek Revival mansion built in the state, and have been used in various motion pictures. At one time the plantation covered 2,600 acres. Smith Coffee Daniell II, who was born in Mississippi in 1826, the son of an Indian fighter turned farmer and landowner, constructed the mansion itself in 1859-1861. Basic construction of the house, which was designed by David Shroder was done by slave labor. The bricks for use in the 45-foot columns were made in a kiln across the road from the house. The columns were then covered with mortar and plaster. There were 29 of these columns supporting the projecting roof line with its plain, broad frieze and molded cornice. This provided protection for the galleries that encompassed the house at the second and third levels. The fluted columns had iron Corinthian capitals and were joined at the galleries by an ornamental iron balustrade.
The mansion contained twenty-five rooms with twenty-five fireplaces, with a basement containing a school room, dairy, and supply rooms.

The home survived the war only to be totally destroyed on February 17, 1890, by a fire said to have been caused by a party guest who carelessly dropped a cigarette.

Filename: Windsor Ruins Port Gibson Mississippi 20140908-_MG_1920_1_2.jpg
Size: 4725x3150 / 11.1MB
Source:
Date 7 Sep 2014
Location: Port Gibson Mississippi United States
Credit:
Copyright: © Greg Disch Photography gdisch@gregdisch.com
Model Release: No
Property Release: No
Restrictions:
Direct Link:
View This Image\'s Galleries: All Mississippi, Mississippi Natchez Trace Parkway, All Images, Windsor Ruins
Keywords:
  • Abandoned
  • Agriculturre
  • Greg Disch Photography
  • Historic
  • House
  • Mansion
  • Mississippi
  • Natchez Trace Parkway
  • National Register of Historic Places
  • Old Natchez Trace
  • Plantation
  • Port Gibson
  • Residential Buildings
  • Ruins
  • Stock Photo
  • Stock Photography
  • Stock Photos
  • United States
  • Windsor Ruins
  • architectural element
  • column
  • historical
  • pillar

Subscribe to my free newsletter

Keep up to date with new articles, photos, "Photographic Destinations", classes, workshops and more.