The Lake Overholser Bridge on Route 66 West of Oklahoma City. Construction of the Overholser Bridge began in 1924 and the bridge opened for traffic in August of 1925. Accommodating a wide bed of 20 feet for traffic, the Overholser was no ordinary bridge. The engineers who designed it not only used the new steel truss technology, but also combined a variety of trusses in unusual ways. With both Parker through trusses and pony trusses, the 748-foot bridge is not only an unusual design, but a balanced and elegant one.
For more than three decades the bridge served as a critical link for motorists traveling across the State and country. By the 1950s, the bridge could not sustain this level of constant traffic. Heavily chromed cars with shapely fins had to sit too long at the bottleneck the bridge had become. In 1958, the Federal Government took action, replacing this segment of Route 66 with a new four-lane divided highway just to the north.
Lake Overhosler Bridge Bethany Oklahoma 20120608-IMG_1879_80_81-.jpg