Red Jammers are buses used at Glacier National Park in the United States to transport park visitors. While the buses are called reds, the bus drivers are called jammers because of the sound the gears made when shifting on the steep roads of the park. The "jamming" sound came from the unsynchronised transmissions, where double-clutching was a must.
They were manufactured as the Model 706 by the White Motor Company from 1936-1939. The distinctive vehicles, with roll-back canvas convertible tops, were the product of noted industrial designer Alexis de Sakhnoffsky, and originally operated in seven National Parks. Glacier National Park still operates 33 of their original buses today on the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
Glacier's Red Jammers were restored from 2000-2002 by Ford Motor Company in conjunction with TransGlobal in Livonia Michigan to run on propane or gas to lessen their environmental impact. The bodies were removed from their original chassis and built upon modern Ford E-Series van chassis. The original standard transmissions were also replaced in 1989 with newer automatics, removing the trademark "jamming" sound.
This fleet of Red Buses is considered the oldest intact fleet of passenger carrying vehicles anywhere. These 17 passenger convertible touring sedans are more than a mere means of transportation for locals and visitors - they are cherished, elegant icons of Glacier National Park